Creating the future with Style & Sustainability; a student-led sustainable fashion design competition.
Fashion brands, designers, manufacturers, and consumers are beginning to acknowledge their social and environmental impact and are taking steps toward a sustainable future. The Style & Sustainability sustainable fashion design competition held on the grounds of Reeves-Reed Arboretum in Summit, New Jersey highlighted sustainable clothing designs by emerging fashion design students from Montclair State University.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
We’ve put our heads together and compiled a list of different ways to incorporate sustainability into your wardrobe!
- Purchase fewer clothes.
- Shop consignment stores before purchasing any ‘new’ clothing.
- If buying new, prioritize timeless designs crafted from high-quality materials.
- Avoid poor-quality “fast-fashion” garments.
- Recycle end-of-life garments
- Upcycle unwanted clothing.
- Host a clothing swap with friends.
- Find take-back programs offered by retailers.
- Look “behind the curtain” to support designers and brands that consciously and deliberately incorporate socially responsible practices.
- Buy clothing made from sustainable materials.
- Seek out and support fair-trade fashion brands.
- Wash your clothes less often.
COFFEE FILTER SKIRT
by NICOLE WIENGES
Your feet love the planet, too, and now they have a way to show it. Make sure to check out our full review of the sustainable socks from Arvin Goods.